The news is more a part of the school curriculum than it ever was – for many reasons. Ten of the reasons teachers find newspapers such effective classroom teaching tools are detailed in the NIE feature “Why Use Newspapers?” which points out that newspapers
- are an adult medium that students of all ability levels can be proud to be seen reading.
- deal in what’s happening here and now, providing motivation for reading and discussion.
- make learning fun.
- are extremely flexible and adaptable to all curriculum areas and grade levels.
- bridge the gap between the classroom and the “real” world.
- build good reading habits that will last a lifetime.
- can be cut, marked, clipped, pasted, filed, and recycled.
- give everyone something to read — news, sports, weather, editorials, and comics.
- are a cost-effective way to educate.
- contain practical vocabulary and the best models of clear, concise writing.
Click on the links in the Newspaper drop menu for access to online newspaper index highlighting recent ‘issues’ ‘Echo Ed’ – check with Library Staff <firstname.lastname@example.org> for passwords if necessary.