The news is more a part of the school curriculum than it ever was – for many reasons. Ten of the reasons teachers find newspapers such effective classroom teaching tools are detailed in the NIE feature “Why Use Newspapers?” which points out that newspapers
- are an adult medium that students of all ability levels can be proud to be seen reading.
- deal in what’s happening here and now, providing motivation for reading and discussion.
- make learning fun.
- are extremely flexible and adaptable to all curriculum areas and grade levels.
- bridge the gap between the classroom and the “real” world.
- build good reading habits that will last a lifetime.
- can be cut, marked, clipped, pasted, filed, and recycled.
- give everyone something to read — news, sports, weather, editorials, and comics.
- are a cost-effective way to educate.
- contain practical vocabulary and the best models of clear, concise writing.
Click on the links in the Newspaper drop menu for access to online newspaper indexes ‘Echo Ed’ and ‘Newsbank’ – check with Library Staff <firstname.lastname@example.org> for passwords if necessary.